A portable air compressor is a fairly serious purchase and I decided to do some investigating before replacing my old compressor. I knew I wanted the best air compressor I could find that would meet my needs and still be affordable.
I took some time before making the purchase and I’m glad I did. There are a lot of different air compressors on the market that can do many different things.
My needs are pretty common for the home handyman and that’s why I’m sharing my results. I did some pretty detailed and extensive research into portable air compressors and I finally landed on the Makita mac700 air compressor.
Advantages of Using Air Tools With a Portable Air Compressor
1. There is great value and the dollar cost is lower than power tools that are corded or cordless. They have a longer life because they don’t have a motor that will eventually burn out. The power for the air tool comes from the motor of the air compressor.
2. Weight is an advantage of air tools as they are lighter since they don’t have a motor. This lighter weight increases efficiency since it’s simpler to handle.
3. Air or pneumatic tools receive their power from the air compressor and thus deliver more torque and higher RPM’s than electric powered tools. This enables the do it yourselfer to complete his project faster and more effectively.
4. Thanks to the air compressor you can change from one tool to another quite easily. Oh and besides its uses for different tools, the compressor is perfect for inflating household items.
5. No electric cords that get in the way or aren’t long enough to reach the job to worry about. You also don’t have to deal with extension cords.
What to Look for When Buying an Air Compressor
• Noise Level
• Amount of amps the compressor draws
Don’t assume that the highest priced air compressor is the best. It may not be and probably isn’t what you’re looking for unless you’re going to be doing heavy industrial work. Instead choose the compressor that best meets your needs and that others have rated highly.
Air compressors produce different levels of air flow. Most power tools require 90PSI to work efficiently. It’s important that you find a portable air compressor that has enough air flow for your tools and the project.
The Makita mac700 has a cast iron pump with a big bore cylinder and piston. The cast iron construction is engineered for increased durability. Big bore cylinder and piston means it has greater bore and stroke for increased compression, faster recovery and less noise.
Less Noise is a Good Thing
We’ve all heard the deafening sound an air compressor can make. The Makita mac700 has much lower noise levels with a large 1,720 – RPM pump. This pump allows for greater displacement at lower RPM.
This basically translates to an efficient pump that allows for more power at lower RMP’s which means a lower noise level and wear and tear on the motor. When reading customer reviews for this product I noticed that the low noise output was mentioned often.
12.4 amps is how much the Makita draws and this is very low. This means that you’re much less likely to have a tripped breaker switch. Also when the breaker is tripped, this results in a voltage drop which can cause extra wear on a motor and shorten motor life. With the Makita mac700 this shouldn’t be an issue.
The compressors that are oil lubricated tend to run smoother and have a longer life. The Makita is oil lubricated and has an oil sight glass which makes it easy to see oil levels and maintenance is simple.
If you are not satisfied with any Makita tool within 30 days of purchase, return it and Makita will provide a replacement or refund. Each Makita tool is warranted to be free of defects from workmanship and materials for the period of ONE YEAR from the date of original purchase.
Should any trouble develop during this one-year period, return the COMPLETE tool, freight prepaid, to one of Makita’s Factory or Authorized Service Centers. Basically the Makita compressor has a 1 year manufacturers warranty.
How Much Should You Expect to Pay?
The Makita mac700 air compressor is available from Makita and many other sites including Ebay for around $228. The cheapest I’ve found it is on Amazon who is currently selling it for under $190 and that includes free shipping.
• Oiled single hot dog compressor with handle; 1/4-inch brass Makita universal coupler.
What Others Are Saying
This air compressor has received rave reviews from most users with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 from over 200 reviewers on Amazon.
Here are some of the comments to date:
• Compact and well made!
• Best little compressor I’ve found.
• Quiet Quality
• Great Air Compressor
• 100% Quality Product and 100% Quality Service
• Industrial Quality
• Best Compressor for the Money!
Some of the older reviews mentioned that the compressor was dented in shipping but that seems to have been taken care of by better packing by the manufacturer.
Where Can You Buy the Makita mac700 Air Compressor?
You can buy this Makita Air Compressor from Amazon. Currently they include free shipping and from my research in comparing prices with other online merchants, Amazon does have the best deal especially with the free shipping. Click here to view on Amazon.
Where Can You Read More Reviews for the Makita mac700 Air Compressor?
The best place for reviews from people who actually use the product is Amazon. Click here to read more.